Countries

Spain Finland Hungary Italy Lithuania Spain Finland Hungary Italy Lithuania Spain Finland Hungary Italy Lithuania

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Michelangelo´s Pietà

Michelangelo was only 25 years old when he sculptured this famous, unforgettable piece of art (1498 - 1499). It is located in St. Peter´s Basilica in Vatican. You can find it from the first chapel on the right as you enter the basilica. 

The virgin Mary sorrows the body of Jesus in this beautiful statue. When I looked at this young mother´s face, I feel like time stops running. Mary´s face impress many mixed feelings: she is sad, but she doesn´t try to resist. She must be broken but she looks calm. I stood there a long time and just looked at this master piece. Every single detail, clothes, hands, feet, are intricately made. When I think of  25-year-old Michelangelo I think he must have been the most talented artist at the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment