1. The Altare della Patria (Altar of the Fatherland) in Rome, Italy.
2. A controversial monument built in honour of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy.
3. It was designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1885, inaugurated in 1911 and completed in 1925.
4. It features stairways, Corinthian columns, fountains, an equestrian sculpture of Victor Emmanuel made out of marble and two statues of the goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas.
5. Though not held in the highest esteem by present-day citizens, it was the source of great civic pride at the time of its construction, at the turn of the 20th century.
6. I find it really impressive and beautiful.