1. The Trevi Fountain is situated downtown in Rome.
2. According to its name, the Trevi Fountain is indeed a fountain.
3. The construction of the fountain (as we know it today) began in 1732 and it was finally completed in 1762. It was constructed by order of the Pope, who thought that the previous fountain standing at the same place wasn't "dramatic" enough. The fountain was the original design of Nicola Salvi, but he died before its completion, leaving it unfinished. The work was eventually completed by Giuseppe Pannini. The Fountain also features sculptures from Pietro Bracci among others.
4. The fountain exhibits characteristics of baroque style. The most of it is built out of Travertine rock. I personally find the building very beautiful and majestic but at the same time quite harmonious.
5. The place is a very popular touristic spot. Probably it is due to the refreshing atmosphere which the fountain creates, but maybe also to the fact that it is commonly told to be one of the most beautiful fountains in the world. There is also a legend which says that if you throw a coin into the fountain, it will ensure you a return trip to Rome. More than 3000€ worth of coins are thrown into the fountain each day.
6-7. I hadn't been there before, so it was quite an exotic and exciting experience for me. Overall I really enjoyed that new experience.
- Bent Harnist